20 Mule Team Off-Road Adventure
This Extreme Calico Tour will put you on the same trail as the famous 20 Mule Team Borax Wagon Train as we depart from Calico Ghost Town on a 3-4 hour, 20 mile journey back in time. This historical and educational off-road tour will take you to the famous town of Borate, a stop at Tin Can Alley, a visit to the Bismark and Odessa mining district, and finally a rough journey down the famous Phillips Loop. You will eat dust, bump your head and neighbor many times over, and be ready to hold on as it gets pretty rough along this off-road adventure. If you have never gone off-roading, or been in a side by side here is your big chance. You will be riding in a Polaris Crew Cab side by side, required to wear a DOT approved helmet (provided), and a chance to see the unthinkable.
What to Expect
An awesome off-road experience. See firsthand the history that shaped and made this state what it is today along with an exhilarating off-road ride.
What do I Need to Wear?
We suggest long pants and require tennis shoes or boots, no open toe or flip flops Expect to get dirty and dress for the weather.
Read Before You Go
- All participants must sign a disclaimer and waiver.
- Desert tours are subject to some element of danger.
- Expect to get dirty.
- Desert tours are subject to cancellation due to unexpected extreme weather.
- Desert tours require classroom presentation on safety and dangers of tour.
- Tours do not include park entrance fee or camping fees.
- Proper clothing required, no flip-flops or sandals, shirts required, coats if weather dictates.
- Helmets are required and provided with tour fee.
- Kids 7 to 17 require adult supervision.
- No bathroom facilities available during the ride, natural settings only.
- Chance of seeing snakes, rabbits, bats, coyote, tarantulas, turtles, kit fox and chukars.
- Tour fees and dates subject to change.
- The route of this off-road tour is on open BLM public lands that are also legal shooting areas. It is not uncommon to pass shooters engaging in target practice. If you are against guns or if you feel threatened or concerned about this, do not sign up for this tour.
What Will I Experience?
The sensation of being on the very roads that the 20 mule team drove on back in the 1800's. The feeling of off-roading, the sensation of riding in the open, heart-pounding twists and turns as we negotiate the famous Phillips Loop and scenery beyond your wildest dreams. Come see why it's called Calico.
What do I Need to Bring?
We suggest sunglasses, camera, and clothing that is weather appropriate.
Due to the nature of the tour, pregnant women and individuals with back or neck problems are not recommended to take this tour. Please make us aware of any medical conditions, for example if you are diabetic or have asthma.
Tour Fees and Reservations
- $75 Per Person
- Minimum $225
Ready to go?
Signing up for your tour is simple, just call (760) 254-3050. We look forward to seeing you up in Calico!
Tour Times and Dates
Please note that tours are by reservation only. Call us for more information.